3 Ways to Calm Strong Emotions and to Start Seeing Better Behavior From Your Kids.
– Match your words and actions
– Children base their beliefs on what they see
– Regular praise and consequences
– Discipline vs punishment
*use a calm voice
*speak about the behavior not your child
*make a simple expectation statement “I need you to”
*talk about the consequences associated with following/not following through
*give time to think if needed
*follow through on the consequence based on your child’s actions
– Expect limit testing
– Be consistent!
2. 1-2-3. Use the counting method to improve and stop undesirable behaviors. Always follow through on what it means to get to “3” and talk about this system before using it! Stay calm!!
3. Coping skills. Zach Gets Frustrated by William Mulcahy – great “chill skills” for kids.
– create individual ideas based on what interests your kids.
– use social stories
– practice when calm
Always: Consider the age and developmental capabilities of your child. And remember, “The secret of getting ahead is getting started”. Just breathe…
#positiveparenting #solutions #anger #mompower #emotions #coping
Check out the amazing Dr. Stem as we unraveled the importance of emotional regulation. For all of you with teenagers, Dr. Stem is a fabulous resource!
Join our group for even more videos and an AWESOME community with FABULOUS ideas to share!